What is Academic Decathlon?
The GCI Alaska Academic Decathlon is a statewide all-academic competition for high school students. It is a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation staffed by volunteers.
Register Your Team
The GCI Alaska Academic Decathlon’s mission is to promote and reward academic achievement for high school students by emphasizing the value of academic excellence and personal self-worth for every participant, and to foster fair and challenging local and state team competitions.
The Academic Decathlon
View The Winners
- Is the only academic competition that covers a wide range of subjects, disciplines and skills
- Develops knowledge-based skills that train students to become a part of the academic or business communities
- Challenges students to push themselves beyond what they think is possible
- Motivates and recaptures students’ interest in academics
- Rewards heroes of the academic arena
- Encourages “C” students to excel beyond their current level and teaches other students that they have strengths that contribute to the team
- Is conducted in 41 states and three countries, involving more than 35,000 students
- Represents all that is positive about our young people
About the Curriculum
The Academic Decathlon Study Guide is developed by national experts, based on an annual theme with relevant, current and challenging topics. Academic Decathlon subjects include art, economics, essay, interview, language and literature, mathematics, music, science or social science, and speech. The Team Super Quiz event, based on the theme and covering all major subject areas, is the highlight of the competition where teams compete to answer questions correctly before an audience.